The Dependent Scholarship Program provides an opportunity for eligible dependents of UNC Asheville employees to apply for a scholarship of up to $200 per semester, to be applied toward tuition and fees associated with courses taken at UNC Asheville.
- Employee must be actively employed in a permanent, full-time (30 hours per week or more) position and a contributing member of the Teachers & State Employees Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Plan.
- Employee must have been employed by UNC Asheville for at least six months prior to the start of the course.
- Participation is limited to dependents who meet the requirements for admission to the University and who have been duly admitted by the Office of Admissions.
Eligible dependents include spouses and children/stepchildren under the age of 25 who are financially dependent upon the employee.
Dependents of UNC Asheville employees are eligible for a scholarship of up to $200, which can be applied toward tuition and fees associated with courses taken at UNC Asheville during the fall and spring semesters. The funds allotted for this program are evenly distributed based on the number of applications received.
Special Course fees and fees for enrollment in correspondence courses, continuing education courses, or other instruction principally supported by receipts from enrollees are not covered under the program. It also does not apply to expenses such as travel, laboratory, books, materials, registration fees, athletic services or parking/safety fees.
Prior to the beginning of the fall and spring academic semesters, the Human Resources Office will send an announcement via campus email outlining the application deadline information.
Employee/Dependent Responsibilities in the Application Process
- Obtain the Employee Dependent Scholarship Application: http://hr.unca.edu/sites/default/files/documents/educationalAssistance/Employee_Dependent_Scholarship_Program_Form_2011.pdf
- Apply for and be accepted to the University by the UNC Asheville’s Office of Admissions and register for the course prior to the end of the drop/add period.
- Return completed Application form, with the required applicant and employee signatures, to the UNC Asheville Human Resources Office. A Human Resources Representative will obtain the Admissions/Registrar’s Office verification.
- Approximately 2 weeks after the drop/add date of classes please check your Pipeline account online to ensure that your application had been processed. The amount allocated for your dependent’s scholarship will be posted on the Pipeline account. If you have questions, please call the University Bursar at 828.251.6608.